Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Bobp, you're right, cases are important and affect sound. More...

I use a standard mini-tower an a solid platform. Don't let it lie on carpets.

I've been silent on this as I plan to test the Zalman TNN-300. It has many design features I like: fanless PSU and CPU, rubber mounting for hard drives and (as you correctly point out) a good chassis (heavy aluminum plating). Unfortunately, Zalman has not yet offered a bracket for Intel Core 2 Duo processor (which would definitely work with Zalman's heat pipe technology) and has a flimsy stand (spikes would be perfect). I also want to confirm if PSU has active PFC (specifications seems to suggest this).

If someone could check this out it will be great. Costs ~$800.

With standard cases, try to avoid more fans as they create more vibrations and consume power. I chose Biostar mobo as it runs cooler than most mobos. Also, many functions are disabled (thus less power and heat). Overall design seeks to lower power consumption.

If you have high ambient temps and need more cooling, use PSU fan. The recommended Enermax has dual fans (with minimal vibrations) and offers variable speed control. Dial this to max (no impact on sound). Case air is pulled through PSU and expelled at rear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.