Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: DAC ... its getting on my nerve

Confused,

USB 1.1 is maxed out at 12MHZ bits per second. In essesence that would allow output to some dacs at 24/192. Most of the commercial USB stuff is 24/96. Some of the driver required hardware is capable of 24/192.

Upsampling to me is evil as is digital filters and oversampling. These all fall into the same category in my book as they are all typical digital filters. My feeling is that ounce touched by these the essence of the music is lost.

I prefer to preserve the data as best I can between the computer and the dac. For that reason 44.1 is fine for me. The lossless compression means bit true data.

Any higher formats are basically going to mean allot more storage. You can do the math but go to 24 bits and expect the size to double go to 96K and then even more.

equation data size = 2(stereo)x BITS x samples per second x song lentgth in seconds.

Yes I2S is better as some of these are going USB->SPDIF then into an SPDIF receiver and that to me is a waste of time. The idea is to get away from SPDIF.

Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DAC ... its getting on my nerve - Gordon Rankin 09:37:54 04/03/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.