Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Real basic setup questions for a PC-Audio newbie

How does one easily get started in PC-Audio?

What I have right now is a pretty basic but recent HP computer with on-board sound (ie. no seperate card), running Win XP, and a basic two-channel audio setup with Yamaha receiver with analog inputs.

I'm aware that I could simply use the output for the PC speakers directly to the receiver and fiddle with the levels for an adequate output to the Yamaha. I somehow doubt the sound quality that setup would give me though.

So this is where I need help.

I would be willing to buy a seperate sound card if there's any benefit and another hard drive so that I don't jam up the computer's HD (and then my music is portable too!). I hate fiddling with software, so Windows Media Player would likely be the controller.

A seperate DAC is a possibility, but less so if it means I absolutely need a sound card with it. Cost plays big here.

Also, how does one use a computer's USB output for music? What software is used to stream the music in digital form to a USB-based DAC? I have an old Technics CDP with a TOSLink output, so maybe a universal DAC would be in order to use it more of the time, and an SPDIF digital Input on the same DAC would be useful for the DVD player. (Chances are that I will stick with a 2 channel setup for movies too.)

We're moving in the summer, so I have time to plan this whole setup, especially since the computer is not likely to be in the same room as the audio and TV setup, but near enough to still be wired.

I hope I haven't confused the issue with my ramblings. What I suppose I can do is sort through whatever über-basic setup everyone is using and maybe pick the one that would work the best for me.

Thanks to all, and I know Fellow Inmates can point me in the right direction - as they always have!!

CheapEric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Real basic setup questions for a PC-Audio newbie - CheapEric 08:27:09 04/03/07 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.