Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Anyone using a RAID ethernet server?

You don't need RAID. Get a hard drive large enough to house your music collection. Then get another and back up the collection to the backup drive. An internal drive for the main and an external for the backup works well. You can even take the backup off site (store it at work or your mother-in-law's house) for better protection against fire and theft. RAID is good for keeping you up and running in the case of a disk failure. It doesn't protect you from a host of other failures

- an 'oops' moment where you accidentally delete something (or everything)

- theft

- fire

- loss of two drives in succession (OK, RAID 6 will do this, but it will cost you plenty)

- loss of the RAID controller (not fatal, but it can be a royal pain, as well as expensive to replace if not under warranty)

The only thing I'd really want a big RAID 5 or RAID 6 array for is ease of management - it's nice to have a single 'drive' of several terabytes and easier than managing data across many individual disks. For music, drives today are big enough to hold fairly large music collections in flac lossless compressed format (about 40-50% savings in drive space) or even in uncompressed WAV format.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Anyone using a RAID ethernet server? - J.Mac 21:44:44 04/02/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.