Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I tested this and there are issues

I do not use any of the analog outs on my soundcard, but I did try it for the sake of testing. I have an audigy4 and it can do 5.1, but I can tell you that 2 channel music is not going to use the sub out. You *may* be able to use some of the DSP modes to fake 5.1 from 2 channel music, but it is not going to sound true to the original music at all... and it may not even use the sub then either. I think it only works with DVD audio and movies...

If your sub has connections for your speakers to use it's crossover, I would connect through that... run your speaker outs from your amp into the sub and then from the sub to your speakers. If your sub only has input (and no output for speakers to use it's crossover) then you need a receiver with a sub (LFE) out.

If you are on a tight budget, I would pick up a yamaha, denon, or onkyo receiver (nothing too expensive) with 5.1 and hook everything up to that and use the digital out on your soundcard to connect to it. The receiver will let you use a sub with 2 channel music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.