Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: dumb question time

The short answer is no.

Welcome to the world of DRM - Digital Rights Management. This is the protection scheme Apple has put in place in order to be able to assure the copyright holders (ie the record companies plus BMI/ASCAP who represent the writers copyright) that they Apple can control what happens to a song.

Part of this appears to be limiting the resolution of the song. The rest of the DRM scheme ensures it will only play on an iPod, cannot be infinitely copied etc. If you go to the Apple home page you will find a very interesting letter to the industry from Steve Jobs that will give you some additional insight on the subject.

FWIW taking an iTunes song and burning it to CD is a technique developed to get around the limitations on copying the material. Apparently when you burn a CD and then rip it, the DRM code is removed. However the law of GIGO - garbage in, garbage out remains. While it is certainly true that you can rip a bit perfect copy of the CD, the fact is that the source used to create the CD was not Lossless - there is no way that the missing information is miraculously added back.

I am glad that Nicustevea is pleased with the results, but all he has done is create a lossless version of a compressed version of the original. It is true that the material is now portable so it can be imported to Zune etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: dumb question time - xmasparty@mac.com 03:31:06 04/02/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.