Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Interesting

Hey D,
I sit 11ft away from the HT system, including the dedicated music PC. If I am listening and using the large TV via HDMI for video, I use a wireless keyboard/pad. There is also a small regular VGA monitor that I prefer for SQ (unhooking HDMI), using the same keyboard.

Intriguingly (but yet to be fully tested) I seem to be getting just as good SQ as the best I've heard in the room, but from an unexpected setup. Since I sometimes have an off-network router plugged to that PC, I installed a copy of Remote Utilities (RU), which I use for work, on the music PC. A laptop, isolated from networks and (wirelessly) on the same router, acts as the RU terminal of the music PC. The surprise is that, apparently, Remote Utilities is a very quiscent kind of software, seems totally transparent during playback. I left on this trip about 2 months ago and at that time I had tried it only to some extent. I'll spend more time evaluating it when I get back next month. I do hope it pans out because the music was sweet and I sat very comfy.

Mechanically, Foobar to the iPad via Wi-fi works well also...SQ-wise, not as well as the above. However, I strongly suspect that the reason has to do my old iPad refusing to work with the router. This forces me to add a USB wi-fi antenna to the music PC, which ain't good. It should work fine in most other systems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.