Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Sorting music on a portable device

Welcome to the Asylum!

Digitizing (ripping) CDs can take quite a while especially if you plan to do all 1500 of them. I would recommend starting with your favorites and doing them in small manageable batches or you will soon get burned out in a hurry! Use a lossless compression scheme like FLAC. Do not use MP3 or AAC.

The LPs take a lot more effort and much more time. I wouldn't even bother with the LPs unless you limit your choices to just a handful of your favorites - or none!

Of course, all of the above depends on how much free time and patience you have.

Are you somewhat comfortable with PC or Mac? If so you might like dBpoweramp for ripping your CDs. Once the CDs are digitized to a portable HDD you can play them from any PC/Mac or transfer the music to a portable player.

The other option is to subscribe to a high quality streaming service like Qobuz. Chances are good that Qobuz will have most of your albums in their library - unless you listen to pretty obscure stuff.

I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas. Welcome to Audio Asylum. Don't be discouraged if you see a lot of disagreement and fighting among the inmates. That's pretty normal around here.

Edits: 01/05/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.