Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

ASP and DSP here

ASP
The Manley Massive Passive EQ box is the most transformative piece of gear I've ever had. It's very expensive, but they sometimes appear when a studio bites the dust. While that's always a sad affair, it's good to keep the MP in service somewhere. At least that's what I tell myself. Footnote: what they say is true - you can't make the MP sound bad, no matter how extreme the settings.

When I got it, I thought I'd play with it for a while, then pass it on. No way. With practice, I've learned how to EQ for any problem in seconds, without really thinking about it. I'm not alone - Bob Ludwig, when he's not dusting his twelve Grammys, masters recordings with his *three* Massive Passives.

DSP
The 100+ plug-ins included with the Metric Halo digital audio interfaces are phenomenal. Any combination of EQ and, say, compression is possible, especially if you use their graphic interface. Anything you can imagine can be done with this. Want to add a Corda Crossfeed to your signal, say, cross-feeding 20% of the signal with x msecs of delay? Or put a little compression on a narrow frequency range, say, for a singer with bad technique? Easy. And there's a bonus: when Metric Halo changed their architecture a few years ago, they issued field-installable upgrades for all their hardware, regardless of age. In 2023, they hope to have another field-installable upgrade that includes better converters and output sections. Nice.

Given that the MP and Metric Halo gear is used in studios the world over, I don't see why we can't use them at home. One more bonus: both companies have the best customer service on the planet.

WW

"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.