Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I think I'm losing my interest in Apple

Yeah, the port situation is fine on the MBP 14 and 16. Now why can't they do that on the MBP 13? The current model is just a thicker Air. Seriously, I priced out MBP 13 and MBA with 16 GB memory and 1TB storage and the MBP is $250 more expensive for the same specs. In return for the extra $250, and the extra thickness and weight you'll be carrying around, you get a Touch Bar and 2 hours more battery life. That's it.

I'm probably going to try the iPhone. I'm going to take a look at the foldables today, the Samsung Z Flip 3 and Motorola Razr, just to see if they tickle my fancy before I give up. I'll miss not having BubbleDS as my whole house audio remote, but there aren't any other apps I use that don't have iOS equivalents.

I understand the value of cloud syncing for people who need disconnected access to the same stuff on multiple devices, but I pretty much never do that except with music, and my music collection is far too large to sync.

We both have iCloud accounts and Google and Samsung accounts as well, but we only use the cloud for device backup, excluding all our media files. We take a lot of pictures and video. We returned home from our last camping trip with 20 GB of new data on my phone, 5 GB on my wife's phone, and IIRC another 20+ GB on my daughter's tablet. And I'm typically carrying around ~100 GB of music on my phone which I switch up every few months. Transferring data on and off an Android phone couldn't be simpler. I plug it into my desktop computer, open the file explorer, and drag & drop to or from a NAS share. Then watch it crank along at 80 MB/s not affecting anyone using wifi. When we got home from that trip, it took me about 15 minutes to get all the pictures and videos off the three devices and into an organized file structure on my NAS.

I understand there is a 3rd party app that can let me do something similar with an iPhone so I don't have to even think about using cloud sync as a means to do a one-way file transfer.

Edits: 10/22/21 10/22/21 10/22/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think I'm losing my interest in Apple - Dave_K 05:33:07 10/22/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.