Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I think you're splitting hairs - try different ways and see for yourself

One of the biggest improvements in the RPi4 is USB and Networking compared to your older RPi3. I have the RPi3 with a SPDIF HAT because USB was not that great. But now that USB is much improved on the RPi4, I just run USB to my DACs.

Older 2.5" USB disk drives consumed more power and some actually shipped with a Y cable.... one leg to plug into the drive, one to plug into dedicated power, the other to plug into the host. Power consumption shouldn't be a problem today with modern 2.5" spinning disks on USB. If it's an issue with your drives, you can buy USB Y-Cables from Amazon and use an outboard 5V supply. But I doubt that you'll need to.

The RPi4 has the option of limiting power to the USB ports vs supplying full power. I have access to these settings in the DietPi Linux based software that I run. I can't speak to other OS distributions and players. If you don't have access to those settings I would assume full power is available over the Pi USB ports.

The link below is about Raspberry Pi power. Scroll down to the table that includes the RPi4 and it will show that USB on the RPi4 can source up to 1.2-Amps. Be sure to use a USB-C power supply on your Pi that can supply at least 3.0-Amps.

[As a side note, some portable USB CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burners are available with outboard power supplies as they consume a fair amount of power while burning a disc and some computer USB ports might be marginal. Using the outboard power supply completely solves that problem.]

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think you're splitting hairs - try different ways and see for yourself - AbeCollins 10:32:20 04/27/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.