Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I think you're splitting hairs - try different ways and see for yourself

I'm sure you can place your music on the same micro-SD card as your boot OS and player but this is probably not the best idea for a couple reasons.

1) Greater chance of corrupting the boot OS and music player on the micro-SD card due to human error or just the constant dinking around with the card as you remove and insert it while adding music. 2) The frequent removal and insertion could wear the micro-SD card slot. On the other hand you have 4 USB ports to play around with and you'll never be dinking around with the all important micro-SD card once it's setup so the likelihood of messing it up is greatly reduced.

I'm not sure how much of a SQ difference you'll hear between music on the USB thumb drive vs your file server over the network. If it were me, my main reason for using a thumb drive would be complete portability. Cut-Throat uses a small USB disk in his portable Pi when he vacations. Otherwise, he uses his NAS (file server) as I do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.