Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Help with ISO to DSF conversion on a Mac?

I just downloaded my first album from the Pentatone site earlier today, and I'd forgotten that, unlike Jared's Native DSD site which allows for download of the DSF files directly, Pentatone's site only downloads the ISO file, which contains both the 2Ch and MCh "portions" within the same file, and which in any case still needs to be converted to DSF in order to play via HQ Player and other playback software. Pentatone recommends using the iso2dsd software available on the Sonore site. So I downloaded that app as suggested. But this software, which I gather hasn't been updated in a while, just sits there and does nothing when I choose the downoaded iso file and click the magic "execute" button.

No problem (or so I thought) - I'll just download some other ISO to DSF converter. And that software was "AuI ConverteR 48x44" written by some guy in Russia. This software asked for my login credentials - which I provided (because, after all, Putin has to know!). And I ran this app with the same Pentatone ISO file. After making the processor in my Mac Mini do some double quick processing for what seemed like a month of Sundays (I could tell by the fan noise!), I actually got the DSF files I wanted - or, kind of wanted. Because what I really wanted were the 5Ch DSF files, but what the app provided was the 2Ch DSF files. I do not see a way to ensure conversion to 5 channels with this program - there's no "manual override" to choose 5-channel output. And this is in spite of the fact that this SW shows the 5-channel portion of the ISO file when you first choose it. There doesn't seem to be a way to restrict the processing to the 5-channel part. (If you try to click on the 5-channel part of the ISO file, the 2-channel / 5-channel amalgamation gets selected.)

From my research, I know that there is other software I can try (Foobar apparently, etc.). But I also read the JRiver will do this kind of conversion too, and that's possibly the direction I want to move towards. So my question is, has anyone here used JRiver to convert ISO files to their DSF equivalents? And if so, are you happy with the results? I'm especially interested in this from the view of outputting 5.0 DSF files. (Kal, do you happen to be reading today? - I know you generally use a PC rather than a Mac.) In addition, if anyone has had success with other ISO to DSF conversion, would you mind sharing your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Help with ISO to DSF conversion on a Mac? - Chris from Lafayette 16:02:32 04/22/21 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.