Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Volumio on Raspberry Pi Questions.......

Roon is my music player of choice at home but I'm wondering about portable setups using something other than LMS / piCorePlayer.

I have a few very basic questions about Volumio:

- Once installed and set up on the Raspberry Pi (presumably with an attached LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse), can Volumio be run on a completely headless Raspberry Pi hidden out of sight?

- I understand that Volumio can have its music library on a NAS. How about having the music library on a SD card or USB thumb drive directly attached to the Raspberry Pi? I assume this is possible but I've never actually played with Volumio.

- Assuming that the Volumio Raspberry Pi is on a home Wifi network, can it be controlled with an iPad? Does the network need to be on the internet? I ask because some software like Roon authenticates your credentials over the internet and that's also where it gets its meta data. I wouldn't need or want that in a completely portable setup.

- How's the control App on the iPad (or other tablet) for managing the music library and playback for Volumio?

I would explore LMS / piCorePlayer a bit more but I have yet to find a decent control App to manage playback from my iPad.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Volumio on Raspberry Pi Questions....... - AbeCollins 14:15:40 04/11/21 (37)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.