Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Makes sense. Benchmark does SMPS too in the ABH2 amp

The reasons for using a SMPS as listed in the Emotiva video include:

- More power
- Quieter
- Less Noise
- Better performance and efficiency

What wasn't mentioned is the much lower cost of a SMPS and mandates for higher energy efficiency for products sold in some countries. I'm sure these are big drivers for moving to SMPS as well.

Benchmark ABH2 does SMPS too:
"Resonant Switch-Mode Power Supply - Most high-end power amplifiers use unregulated linear power supplies. The conventional wisdom is that linear supplies are electrically quieter than switching supplies. Benchmark's research shows that this is a myth. Linear supplies have transformers that operate at the AC mains frequency. The problem with these 50 to 60 Hz transformers is that they must be very large in order to supply the required power. These large low-frequency transformers generate large stray magnetic fields that can interfere with other nearby devices, and with the amplifier itself. The noise performance of many traditional power amplifiers is limited by the amplitude of the AC line-related hum. This hum is often magnetically induced and is very hard to eliminate. To solve these problems, Benchmark now uses switching power supplies in all of its newer products. Switching frequencies are set well above the audio band. More importantly, the high switching frequency greatly reduces the size of the magnetic components and the magnitude of the stray magnetic fields. Resonant switching is used in the AHB2 to minimize switching noise. Resonant supplies switch at low voltage and low current and are much quieter than traditional switching supplies."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.