Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Incorporating the DAC and Streamer in one box

The right way to do it is to put the master clock source right next to the DAC chip for lowest possible jitter. The DAC section should pull data from the streamer section. This was one of considerations (besides sound and functionality) that attracted me to the Linn and Lumin streamers.

Unfortunately, not all one box streamer + DAC products are implemented this way. When I looked a couple years ago, many on the market were using an OEM custom single board computer from StreamUnlimited (or similar) for the streaming functionality. These streaming-specific SBCs have S/PDIF outputs, and sometimes I2S, which push data + clock to the DAC section. That requires the DAC section to generate the DAC MCLK source using a PLL. This is a modular approach that makes design easy for a high end audio company that doesn't have a computer engineer on staff, but you'll get inferior jitter performance this way. A two-box solution with asynchronous USB interface will be better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Incorporating the DAC and Streamer in one box - Dave_K 09:03:52 03/30/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.