Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: is there an app for mac that plays any music file type

Just to get one thing off the table before I start, I'd just like to point out that the latest Mac operating system is 11.1 (Big Sur).

I've ended up mostly using two separate playback products, HQ Player (where I'm forced to stay back level because their current software version no longer supports exaSound's ASIO driver on the Mac - although the back-level version I use with ASIO is not causing me any problems) and Audirvana (which IIRC doesn't have quite the capability for the ultra-high res formats (DSD256 and DXD) which HQ Player supports). Audirvana can be used directly with Qobuz via its direct interface, and also does better with the compressed Apple formats (AAC and ALAC) than HQ Player does. (HQ Player will play uncompressed AIFF files however.) An all-in-one "can opener" product which supports a large number of different formats is VLC Media Player - which AFAIK is still free. I'm even considering looking into Roon now, because, according to exaSound, Roon's current SW is compatible with ASIO on the Mac. My personal experience with JRiver on the Mac (some years ago) was not a happy one, and they do not support ASIO on the Mac either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.