Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Raspberry Pi 4 vs. 3B+ first impression

I finally made it to MicroCenter when the store wasn't packed and bought a 4gb 4, 2x16gb micro SD cards and what I thought was a USB-A to USB-C cable. The cable turned out to be micro-USB but I pulled it from the USB-C rack. Anyway, I found an adapter for my original Pi 3a power supply and am using that to power it. I downloaded the latest Volumio image, installed everything in about 15 minutes total and was up and running. Using my Topping E30 as the DAC.

It does seem to give a darker background. My first track was Hoff Ensemble's Polarity, a freebie track in DSD256 that I have that I think is the best sounding track in my meager local collection. Next up was "Radio One" by Airelle Besson on Qobuz in 24/44.1. This is the track I've used to hear the minute differences when I make changes. When I was switching power supplies around it was this track that convinced me to get rid of the iFi iPower. Everything comes from a very quiet background. With the Pi4 it was very quiet.

Now, if you were to ask me if the 3B+ were noisier I'd have to say maybe not. I can't tell. I'd have to do a rapid A/B to even hear it is my guess. In any case for the money the 4 is staying in the system and I'll use the 3B+ elsewhere, except I'm running out of places! Oh wait, I'm not out of kids! My daughter has a small system and I just bought her a USB DAC for her car, like the AQ Dragonfly but not, the ExtremPro X1. She could plug that in and go wireless. I love how cheap this stuff is getting.

Right now I've switched back to classic rock, "(Dont Fear) the Reaper". Next up is "Candle in the Wind", both in 24/96 on Qobuz.

I can still remember my first DVD-A and how great it sounded and how bad the music was in 24/96 surround.

Edits: 09/08/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Raspberry Pi 4 vs. 3B+ first impression - zacster 15:32:38 09/08/20 (49)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.