Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

How deep do you want to go?

I assume that you have a PC, so the first thing to do is to rip your CD collection to a hard disk. If you system has a couple TB, then it may have plenty of room. dbPowerAmp seems to be the best choice. You can use it free for 30 days and it's only $39 to buy it which is worth it.

As for a USB drive, it seems that you would have to buy an enclusure and a HD if you only want 2TB. Seagate doesn't have external drives with power supplies until you hit 4TB which are cheap enough. You should buy two so that you can backup one to another.

Another option is a NAS. Some, like Synology, can also run the server function instead of using your PC as a server. You still should have a USB drive for backup of your library.

Most people would use Logitech Media Server software which is free and works. Roon and others are more complicated, but do more.

So, once you have CDs ripped and available via a server, you need a streamer to play the music. There are lots of options, many fairly expensive and some that have their own server GUI and all that. The most economical and good performing would the RPi 4 or a Logitech Touch. The RPi would require an external DAC and is cheap, about $80 with case. But it does require some computer savvy and familiarity with Linux is quite helpful. The Touch is pretty much plug and play and has it's own DAC; however, it does sound better with a good DAC. The RPi has to be used with a smart phone. The Touch has it's own touch screen that you can use or use it via a smart phone which will also sync with an RPi for music in different rooms. Most feel the RPi sounds a little better. It's close. I have both and actually have an extra Touch laying around if you wanted one as they haven't been made for a while.

-Rod

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.