Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ditch the Oppo

I agree with zacster about the Oppo BDP-93; it's not a good digital music player/server. The interface will leave you so frustrated you'll want to abandon streaming altogether. I tried using an Oppo 103D as a streamer and ended up turning into a door stop when I tried to update the OS to handle the latest streaming services and locked it up good. Donate the BDP-93 to a thrift store for someone to watch DVD movies.

You don't mention whether you'll be ripping CDs and purchasing hi-res downloads to build a digital music library, or strictly listening to internet streaming. If you're going to rip a bunch of CDs then a NAS drive works well and isn't that complicated to set up. Otherwise I also agree with zacster about just subscribing to a streaming service. I have a NAS library but can see eventually going to just internet streaming. One little box and a DAC; doesn't get much simpler.

I use a Bluesound Node 2i for accessing a NAS library (CD rips and hi-res downloads) and for limited internet streaming. It's fairly easy to set up and has been working great for me using an external DAC but if you're wanting to spend less money and don't mind spending more time setting up a Pi player system I could see that being a good option. There are certainly plenty of inmates here at the Asylum to help you set it up.

Tom

Edits: 08/18/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.