Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Allo Shanti - 2x5V linear supercap supply

Hi folks.
FYI.

Allo released not long ago a new extreme high quality 2x5V (1A/3A) linear power supply. It's called Shanti.

It comes with a huge supercap buffer right on the output. You might also call Shanti a linear supercap supply.

There's IMO nothing comparable around.
Feeding a load right from a supercap IMO is the best of all solutions out there.

E.g. The Uptone Ultracap supply refers also to Ultracaps. But AFAIK these caps are just used as buffer to buffer the final regulator stage. That'd be quite a different approach - a complete different animal!

Shanti (noise) specs look outstanding. (And you'll probably hear that)
And that supercap buffer enables current delivery comparable to
a pure LiFePO4 supply. (You'll probably hear that too)

I (still) use Shanti to power my RPI3/Allo Katana tower.

For people interested to upgrade their RPI audio tower IMO that supply
is the way to go for the time being.

I use the 1A output for the RPI. And the 3A for Katana.

For some RPI configs 1A might be a bit low.
However. MY PI3B+ usually runs at 250mA and at around 800mA max at boot. 1A is therefore more than sufficient.
On the other side not all HATs draw power like a Katana.
You could also hook up the PI to the 3A output and the HAT to 1A. There are options.

And just in case you'd need 2x3A. Simply buy a 2nd one. Two Shantis are still cheaper than one Uptone supply. ;)

There are IMO some minor downsides:

1. Shanti is big, really big (approx. 8 x iFi iPower).
2. It comes with rather long and non filtered fixed DC cables
(DIY minded no-compromise people usually cut or replace (soldering) these. BUT. You can live easily with the default setup.
3. At powerdown you might face a rather long fade-out period. The lower the load the longer it'll take.
Allo doesn't cut the DC rails (via relay or similar) at power-down. The supercap buffer therefore will be discharged through the attached device.
Devices sensitve to undervoltage conditions might have a slight issue with that.
4. That's more of an advise: Depending on the connected DAC or amp, you better turn off your amp before turning off Shanti. Otherwise you might experience a rather frightening sound on your speakers. (But that'd apply to many other devices out there - that's not Shanti exclusive)

Bottom line.

I think Shanti is well worth a try.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Allo Shanti - 2x5V linear supercap supply - soundchekk 04:48:48 09/03/19 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.