Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Help! I'm a "Digital Doofus."

I know just a little about digital, so for the most part I'm pretty much like you. However, I've been digitizing vinyl since 1991 so I have a lot of digital copies on external USB hard drives. I've been looking for some type of digital player in which I can plug in a USB hard drive and play my digital music. I've ripped all my CDs to the hard drive, too.

Several years ago I found a player that would do basically what I wanted and then the company went out of business. The company was Oppo and I have a BDP-105D Blu-Ray disc player, which works well for digital resolutions up through SACD, but now I'm copying vinyl to Double DSD, which is DSD128. Players like the Oppo seem to be few and far between, especially those that will play Double DSD and Quad DSD directly from a USB hard drive. They also seem to be awfully expensive.

Just before Christmas I discovered a company called FiiO and they make hand-held portable digital players. I bought their M9 player just for kicks and I discovered the most wonderful and beautiful sounding digital player I've ever heard. It can't connect to a USB hard drive, but it can play music from a high capacity micro SD card. This player sounds awesome and it costs only $300 on Amazon. Regardless of how much more you learn about digital and what other components you decide to buy, I highly recommend buying a FiiO M9. Until I can find something better, it's what I use in my main system now. Did I mention that it sounds awesome?

Good luck,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help! I'm a "Digital Doofus." - John Elison 10:11:12 03/13/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.