Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

No problemo!

Just trying to get my brain around this stuff, not trying to start "trouble." ;-)

There really are different use cases going on. The venerable TOSLINK optical interface is typically used when the transport is nearby and doesn't necessarily involve a computer. It's challenge is the inherently high jitter associated with the standard.

In this case, however, optical is used as the "highway" for ethernet traffic between a music server and a digital endpoints located at considerable distances. In my case, the music server lives downstairs in the home office and connects to a gigabit router. From there it feeds a 60' run of CAT6 to the listening room upstairs. It connects to a Sonore ultraRendu endpoint which uses a USB interface to the Audio Research DAC.

Why that approach? I don't want an electrically noisy general purpose computer in my listening room. Control for the endpoint is via a phone/pad or even my watch. Centrally locating the digital library also means that I can access it from multiple players (audio and video alike) located around the house and garage.

Is that clear as mud? :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • No problemo! - E-Stat 10:31:55 02/27/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.