Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: A pretty thorough write-up .............

That's convenient. I hadn't thought of traveling when writing that.

It recalls an uncomfortable dealer audition experience I had about 6-7 years ago. I was shopping for new speakers and potentially a new amp (if warranted by the speakers), and the dealer who had the speakers I was interested in didn't want to do an in-home audition, so it had to be in store. They asked me to bring in my preamp and amp. They seemed somewhat vinyl focused and the only digital sources they had were a few CD players that I wasn't impressed with, and nothing that could play back my hi-res files. So along with the preamp and amp, I brought a streamer, a USB-powered switch, and a laptop with MinimServer installed with a library of all my test tracks.

The salesman flatly refused to let me hook up my source, and insisted I use their Rega Apollo in one room or their Naim CD5si in another. His opinion was that streaming anything = shit and wouldn't risk an audition on it.

Anyway, the main point I was hoping to make with Bruce was that open standards and open source software help remove dependencies between hardware and software, so you shouldn't necessarily judge a piece of hardware by a vendor-provided app that can be replaced.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.