Computer Audio Asylum

It's not your iPhone. It's several other factors....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

"But I am wondering if I am needlessly compromising sound quality by using the Iphone as the source. "

It's not so much the iPhone as it is the lower resolution of the streaming service combined with the lower resolution of bluetooth. Try a direct connection from the iPhone to your amp, using a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable. Ditch the bluetooth. That will help, but Spotify is still relatively "low-res" compared to a CD.

Additionally, if you ever want to experiment with higher resolution from the iPhone, try ripping CDs as AIFF or ALAC (Apple Lossless) then sync it to your iPhone with iTunes. Then use an outboard DAC like the Audioquest Dragonfly series from your Lightning connector using a Lightning to USB adapter cable.

I run my iPhone in the car with AIFF and ALAC files on it with the iPhone 'direct connected' to the car's DAC via Lightning to USB. This completely eliminates the iPhone's internal DAC and it's internal analog stage and audio quality is excellent.

Edits: 03/18/17

Follow Ups: