Computer Audio Asylum

RE: Ok

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

"No, the attached device would be the villain in this case drawing more current than its host can digest."

: The more reason you should increase output on power supply host to prevent such issue from happening.

"Certainly not. While I find having some added current capability is desirable, having six to twelve times the needed value as you find with the Nikola or the Sonore Signature sure seems like overkill."

: Define overkill. For me it's not overkill at all but it's understandable for R-Core lover's point of view who don't appreciate increasing transformer's output power.

"Do you realize the same engineer (John Swenson) designed both - with the LPS-1 intended to power the rendu? While the nominal current requirement for the rendu supply is 1A, the device itself draws about half that."

: I do realize and for me it's not safe since it can't even power JCAT USB Card with a single USB hard drive from Seagate (it's already low powered drive among 2.5 HDD). That's my opinion like some people who don't think bypassing fuse is OK but some do. If microRendu states it requires 1A continuous current, it'll be 2A linear power supply in my book for safety reasons.

"
That clever approach being of using low impedance capacitors to drive the device sourced by an "energizing source".

And I may be wrong, but somehow I think that Mr. Swenson has a much deeper understanding of how his products work together than do you. And that using them together is most certainly not "dangerous". :)"

: There's nothing wrong with LPS-1 product itself. However, with LPS-1 having 1.1A current limit, I don't feel safe to power device requiring 1A continuous current even if developer said it's OK.

I recommended LPS-1 to my customer myself with intention to power USB audio input alone. I believe microRendu can work with LPS-1 for most of the time but I don't feel safe with 1A "continuous" device powered by 1.1A linear power supply.

Also, I agree about we're having communications issues in one way or another. Here's what you said before:

"Being over kill or not isn't about current output but transformer size.

Really? Some electronics, like the uRendu will shut down if it draws too much current. On the other hand, I've never heard of any doing so because it somehow "detects" a larger transformer upstream running at low capacity. Have you?"

I interpreted this as using overkill power supply can make uRendu shutting down because it draws too much current. And you agreed with me that this shutting down issue has nothing to do with increasing transform output power.

Also, universal energized power supply is switching AC>DC using low impedance capacitor for additional $15. If you're familiar with two-step regulation, you can use Nikola for the first step and LPS-1 for the second step.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Follow Ups: