Computer Audio Asylum

Iffy iFi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I recall some inmates flaming you a long time ago because you posted some photos of the insides of an iFi product that had come apart. I think the glue or whatever they used didn't hold.

My first iFi iPower ($50) had to be sent back to the retailer because of poor manufacturing and/or QC. There was something rattling around inside of it. Could have been a plastic piece or it could have been a metal screw. In any case I didn't want to chance having it cause damage to itself or to my gear. It was promptly exchanged by the retailer for a new one but that experience (along with the iFi experience you shared) left a very bad impression with me of their products.

I still own the $50 iFi iPower (one of the many power sources recommended for the microRendu) but I hear no difference between it and a $10 wall wart I bought off Amazon.

Even though your Jameco LPS doesn't have stellar specs, most digital gear with their own onboard regulators don't need thousand dollar external LPS's. It's not like the high gain analog stages in a phono preamp. But audiophiles will be audiophiles and power supplies are easy to tinker with and throw money at. ;-)

Edits: 03/10/17

Follow Ups: