Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: This from Korg

"I will check on CPU utilization to see what I'm getting."

It is interesting to monitor CPU utilization for different DSP settings. It can vary considerably and Activity Monitor will give you a good idea of what's going on. In general, slower* CPU's will show higher utilization. On CPU's with 'room to spare' the utilization numbers will be lower. As utilization goes up you may also notice your fan speed increase to keep the processor cool.

*It is a gross generalization to assume that faster clocked CPU's will always out perform slower ones. It really depends on many other factors like how the application is written. If the application is highly threaded and can execute over multiple cores and multiple threads, it will benefit from more cores even if those cores are clocked slower than another CPU with fewer cores. Actual throughput could be higher and not directly proportional to just CPU clock speed. Many older applications are 'single threaded' while newer ones maybe 'multi-threaded'. Some CPUs that run at faster clock speeds may have fewer cores than others that operate slower clock speeds.

In general, many older legacy applications run faster on faster clock CPU's and my not benefit from multiple core.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: This from Korg - AbeCollins 21:40:26 07/29/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.