Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Allo Digione in House .......................... Pic

I received my Allo Digione board this week for Raspberry Pi. Some new 'Re-clocker' technology for this Digital Out board. Also had to get a new case for my Pi to accommodate the new Board. Very Nice!

I used the latest 'Audiophile' release from PiCorePlayer - (because we are Audiophile - aren't we Ivan?) which has support for this new board from Allo.

How does it sound? ..... A big upgrade over the HiFi Berry Digi+ Pro - A far better upgrade IMO than any power supply upgrade I have tried. In terms of Clarity, definition. Very noticeable. A keeper for sure. Great deal for $99 and $14 for a new Case.

From their website:
We started designing a digital (S/PDIF) transport for RPI with one goal in mind: Absolut best S/PDIF output.

Now let me explain... behind the grandiose wording there is an exact science. Since this is a digital stream the most important aspect for "absolut best" is jitter. Jitter in digital domain directly translates into analog errors. Second, is noise. Lowering the noise that's injected in your DAC will produce some (small-to-none) improvements.

Then we went to work.

10 LDOs, 12 LPF, DC/DC convertors, galvanic isolator, WM8805, flip flops, buffers, NDK oscillators.

Optical had to go... by definition it has a jitter of 4ns. That's 4000ps. We simply removed it. However, optical has galvanic isolation so we took the decision to use a digital isolator instead that separates the outputs from both RPI and WM8805.

DigiOne has 2 outputs: BNC and plain RCA (coaxial). On both, we have achieved jitter of 0.6ps (1 picosecond - time taken by light in a vacuum to travel approximately 0.30 mm).

Noise. 50uV (batteries have about 12uV of noise).

What we achieved, in our opinion and based on public measurements, is the best transport at any price point (yes, even when compared with 5k USD/EUR transports).

Edits: 07/30/17 07/30/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Allo Digione in House .......................... Pic - Cut-Throat 13:57:57 07/29/17 (47)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.