Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Yes - I remember when you first got that system set-up

Chris - I know nothing about iTunes, except it seems to be a boy purporting to do a man's work. But, I am not sure there is a tagging problem. As long as iTunes adheres to industry standards for tagging, that should transfer to JRiver. JRiver can also support as many custom tag fields as you desire, but you really do not need many beyond its standard set to handle a big classical library. I recommend only two:

Composition: the title of the composition which might have multiple movements on multiple tracks.

Subgenre: while the Genre tag might indicate Classical, Popular, Jazz, etc., the sub-genre can be useful in classical to identify Symphony, Oratorio, Ballet, Opera, Chamber, etc.

If all the other audio library tools included just these two added fields to their standard tags, it would make a world of difference. But, then again, the disc authors don't even fill in all the standard metadata they should as it is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.