Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Library (& Player) software for large Classical collections?

I had a look at Musichi a couple of years ago and , noting that you feel that you are lacking in computer skills, have to say that it defeated me though I was then very new to computer audio and certainly did not have all of the skills needed. Although I am sure that it is fine if you can get it to work it has a limitation being a development apparently by one lone individual. It also seems to be built around a graphically somewhat archaic database unless recently updated.

I am still building my library of albums and am nowhere close to having a library of your size ( so far around 500-600 albums ripped and downloaded). I am however very happy with JRiver ( MC22 currently). It plays just about everything including .dsf files and, as Old Listener points out, can be configured in various ways. The only significant downside that I am aware of is that albums having almost the same title can, in album view, be concatenated e.g. Beethoven Symph 1 Karajan and Beethoven Symph 1 Norrington can be searched individually but at track level may appear as Tracks 1-4 Karajan, tracks 5-8 Norrington. However this may relate only to the remote control view in Gizmo. As a Mac user if you want to use a remote on your phone or tablet then there is a Mac alternative which may not do the same.

JRiver also displays the metadata at track level for classical music very well ( i.e. there is no artifical cut off after x number of characters in a line) but this will depend upon how the album has been ripped and decisions made at that time or the metadata supplied in respect of downloads.

I could post some screenshots if the want but , more to the point, why not just try it? It offers a very reasonable free trial period which should enable you to make up your mind.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.