Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

my experience with Roon stability

I had issues with Roon stability for a while.

I run Roon core on Sonictransporter i5. I have about 20K flac files on a 2TB external HDD directly attached to STi5. I also have about 20K Tidal tracks "added" to my library, a very nice option in Roon.

It was all smooth sailing until Roon 1.3 was introduced early this year. Then for a couple of month I was unable to sort the library properly: the control unit (iPad) would just hang with every other sorting task. I understand that searching/sorting library has become very resource intensive with 1.3. Very frustrating ... Switching off Tidal (temporarily) helped, but was suboptimal ... In fairness, no issues with playback, it always remained stable.

I spent considerable time with customer service at Roon, uploading logs etc ... Had the impression they are dealing with a substantial flow of problems and were unable to focus on my issue.

Then, with a new Roon software update, they somehow fixed it -- the control unit still hangs from time to time, but for a short period. I do not know what the problem was.

I am scared that something similar may happen again in the future, perhaps with a Roon 1.4 release, or 1.5 or ...

Bottom line: I love Roon -- it brings my library to life like no other player in my experience -- and will continue to use it, but will avoid "lifetime" subscription.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • my experience with Roon stability - maxim 13:48:04 06/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.