Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Roon Ready?

>> does your new digital hub, or any other component run Roon? <<

Yes, the Ayre QX-5 Twenty is "Roon Ready". What happens is this - an Ethernet input requires a medium-powered microprocessor to connect to the Ethernet - typically running some version of Linux modules. Obviously there is no need to support things like keyboards, displays, mice, and so forth. Instead it mostly just needs to handle the internet connection.

In addition the base Linux code can be modified to interface with other software. The module used by Ayre has "hooks" for Roon, Tidal, Spotify Connect, and Qobuz. Roon has the most rigorous test program and requires a complete unit sent to their test labs to both certify proper operation and then remain there so that they can both test new Roon releases and also verify other future compatibility issues.

This is one reason that setting up a Roon-based system is typically easier than setting up a UPnP-based system. While UPnP standards exist, there is no certifying body that enforces the standards. When setting up a UPnP-based Ethernet sytem, JRiver is one of the most robust pieces of software I've found and rarely has any compatibility issues with any hardware.

Strictly my own opinions, and not necessarily those of my employer or AI-enhanced life-sized doll.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.