Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Bullethead's Raspberry Contest - Winners Update

I didn't want anyone to think I won it, but just left it sitting. It did take a while to get to it.
Right after I got it, I got sick, it took 3+ weeks to feel normal.
I started to load a micro card, all I had around was a 32Gb. For some reason the card reader wouldn't recognize it. I tried SD Formatter, no joy. I called PNY, and they will warranty it. So finally I got a 16Gb at Best Buy $10, they wanted $13 for the 8Gb.
So, Wednesday night, I flashed the card with Volumio, and loaded it into the player. It took me about 2 hours to get it up and running, I missed a lot of the settings at first. Once I got them checked out I was able to play a flash drive to my Lindemann. That was using the laptop to control it. I then got the Wi-fi going on my tablet. It sound pretty good, not as good as playing the same files using JRiver on the laptop straight to the DAC.

Yesterday I took it in the bedroom and got it working with the Benchmark, using it's built in Wi-fi with my tablet controlling it. That took about 15 minutes.

A friend is donating a 256[?] Gb USB drive to the project. Once I get that, I will make some kind of case for it. I plan on loading the drive with late night, bedtime music, to use with the Benchmark.

I wanted to publicly thank Bullethead for his generous gift. THANK YOU!!!
It has been fun getting it up and running.

I have been wondering if Bryston's Raspberry, Hifiberry music player uses a SD card, or if they put in some kind of programmable chip to control it. If we could get our hands on that card, we could build a main system quality player. Besides proprietary firmware, it seems to me that there are three things I would need, a Hifiberry card, a robust linear power supply, they are feeding the player 12v, so then that would need to be regulated to 5v, I think? A small display, but that would be optional, not necessary for SQ. Am I forgetting anything?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Bullethead's Raspberry Contest - Winners Update - Jeff Starr 00:29:59 05/13/17 (40)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.