Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: TidaL - With Masters DAC Should Show 24/88 or 24/96

I was using Roon when I saw "FLAC 48-KHz 24-bit" displayed in the Roon 'signal path' (and 48.0 on the DAC display) when playing a Tidal Master. This makes sense now as the native Master (MQA) 24/192 file is supposed to show up as 24/48 if MQA is not being decoded at all. Roon is not decoding MQA here.

From the AudioStream article MQA Decoding Explained

In the mean time, back to the Tidal player. I decided to go back into Tidal and see what it's doing. You may have helped me discover a problem with my DAC combined with Tidal.

I'm using the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC over Firewire and if I choose Mytek as the Sound Output device in Tidal settings, the Tidal player always reverts back to System Default when I play a tune instead of staying on the Mytek DAC. (This doesn't happen with my other players.... they stay on the Mytek DAC rather than going back to System Default for the sound output). I use this Mytek DAC over Firewire because Mytek has not updated their USB driver for any recent releases of Mac OS X.

I'll try the Tidal player again on another DAC but over USB. Tidal may not be handling things correctly over Firewire. I also have the Wyred4Sound uLink USB to S/PDIF converter that I'll try later.

I haven't verified any of the above so there's some experimenting and trial and error involved.

[EDIT]: It's all fixed and working as it should now. Tidal was not handling the sound output device correctly over Firewire but everything is fine over USB.

Edits: 05/12/17 05/12/17 05/12/17 05/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TidaL - With Masters DAC Should Show 24/88 or 24/96 - AbeCollins 08:19:45 05/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.