Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: When is a salesman lying?

Micro VAX? That's old stuff, probably from the same 1980's era as the LSI 11/73 Q-bus systems I worked on along with the DEC RT-11 OS. I'm seriously dating myself!

Larger companies often employ (pre-sales) Systems Engineers who are teamed up with a few sales reps. We do the real selling via whiteboard, proof of concept, demos, benchmarks, etc. The sales reps handle the P.O.s and cash the commission checks. ;-) Actually, we have some pretty sharp sales reps, many of whom are former SE's. I prefer not dealing with sales issues like forecasts, giving up margin through reseller partners, etc.

I had my own 'baud rate moment' last year. ALL of our serial management ports on the ILOM service processors were historically set to 9600, 8-bit, No-parity, 1 stop bit.... forever and on everything we sold. And then it changed not long ago to 115,200 baud. I was setting up a demo and didn't even get gibberish on my screen so I swapped cables then started randomly trying different settings until it worked. The terminal in this case was just my laptop with PuTTY tools on it.... but I do recall the old VT-100 terminals from a long time ago.

Edits: 05/08/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When is a salesman lying? - AbeCollins 12:53:02 05/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.