Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: When is a salesman lying?

Like any generalization, the exceptions are all over the map.

I typically worked with smaller start up type companies. Having a technical background, I learned quickly which engineers and development folks were the stars and which ones I could trust and which that I couldn't. Usually, we didn't have the customer engineers, so if I had an engineer in a meeting, it was likely either the President of the company or the VP of Development.

But I hear you, a lot of sales people in tech know little more than the benefit list on the product brochure and have little understanding of the complexity and how the stuff really works. Of course the same is true for some engineers.

I remember a time when we were setting up a booth for a trade show and the engineer couldn't get the Micro VAX to boot up. He called back to HQ and got bounced around from one person to another and was getting nowhere. After a few hours of this, we were getting worried as to whether he could get this fixed which was critical and we were running out of time. Finally, my regional manager and I decided that we better get involved and find out exactly what was going on. It seemed like it was booting, but the terminal was getting gibberish. We checked the cabling and then thought, 'I wonder how the terminal is set up'. Sure enough, it was set up wrong. We changed it to 9,600 baud and bingo, fixed.

The engineer on site was a PhD, but had absolutely no common sense.

-Rod

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.