Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Whatever happened to MQA? It's still here

I prefer CDs played on my PS Audio transport to my DAC, to the SACD layer on my Oppo.
And DSD files or PCM 24/88 and up, output to the Benchmark Dac2 HGC, over the Oppo. The Benchmark is not overly bright, but it certainly isn't warm sounding, detail is quite good. It has a very good USB input.

The Lindemann doesn't do DSD, but those files converted to 24/176 sound good. I don't find hi-rez to be fatiguing, unless the music was recorded that way. I like to listen to the Tidal MQA files of Greenday and the Ramones in the morning, pretty loud too, not fatiguing. The Lindemann does upsample CDs and 16/44 files to 24/96.

It has to be the Oppo. Although glare which is what I find fatiguing is not the problem with my Oppo, it just doesn't compete with better DACs. When your budget allows it, you should audition some DACs, the Oppo is an ok transport. I did use a HDMI audio extractor for a while, the problem was that with DVDs it down sampled most of them, defeating the whole purpose of using it.

My friend has a much newer Oppo, we listened to the Beck concert on his system, an Arcam pre-processor, Chord amps for the back, sides, and center, with an Audio Research 75 amp to Vandersteen 5As in front with all Vandersteen rear channels. He liked the Beck Blu-ray so much that he ordered his own copy. I don't know if you like Leonard Cohen, if so the Live in London 2009 is an excellent concert video. Also I would recommend the Cowboy Junkies 20th anniversary of The Trinity Sessions.
I was lucky enough to see Jeff Beck a few years ago. He had a different woman on bass who was a little flashier than Tal, and unfortunately the vocalist from, I think it was Wet Willie. He was bad. Beck doing a "Day In The Life" was spectacular. On the video, I was so impressed with Imogen Heap.
Don't give up on true hi-rez and DSD files, the best of them are better than MQA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Whatever happened to MQA? It's still here - Jeff Starr 23:26:16 05/07/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.