Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: When is a salesman lying?

"Hence, if you trust the engineers, you may find yourself to be a liar down the way."

I think that depends on the engineer. If you're talking about engineers in product development that may be true. In my company, they don't speak to customers. They speak with company internal folks only, and usually through a product manager.

On the other hand customer facing engineers often need to keep the sales reps honest. After a sales rep stops speaking in a customer meeting, the customer turns and looks at the engineer. ;-) The customer facing engineer walks a thin line. Sometimes that thin line may piss off a sales rep possibly delaying a sale.

I was in that situation just two weeks ago. Customer is ready to cut a P.O. but the 'new version' is just on the horizon for next quarter.... and it's better and cheaper. I couldn't reveal details of this 'new version' but I mentioned it.

Fortunately in my company, the customer facing engineer does not work FOR the sales rep (but my sales reps are pretty honest guys). It's about a long term relationship as a trusted advisor vs a one time 'hit and run' sale.

Edits: 05/07/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.