Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Whatever happened to MQA? It's still here

As to CD, I think you are right it is your player. I have an Oppo 83se, the audiophile version. I use my Oppo for three things watching video, mostly concerts, to verify if a disc is HDCD, and to check total time of CDs.

My DAC has a transport that plays HDCDs, but is finicky, it often takes a partial shutdown to get it to read a disc, and my transport does not show total time.
Even with SACDs the CD layer sounds better played through the PWT and Lindemann DAC, then they do with the Oppo. I do like Blu-rays on the Oppo, I think I only own one, Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's. Highly recommended.

And Jaundiced Ear, zacster is correct, no one is going to force you to buy MQA, or a new DAC. We all know that true hi-rez can be superior to the best MQA, although I have never heard them on a MQA DAC. And I don't see the majority of DAC manufacturers rushing to build MQA DACs. As long as MQA requires DAC manufacturers to let them implement MQA, you won't see that happening. PS Audio, is only adding MQA for streaming as it is what their customers wanted. It will never go in to the actual DAC Paul does not like MQA as it is lossy, and when they did test it, the SQ was not anywhere as good as the Directstreams without it.

It is very unlikely that MQA will ever move beyond streaming. And if you replaced your LPs or CDs with SACDs, or hi-rez downloads, you will have no reason to replace anything.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.