Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Whatever happened to MQA?

After the original Tidal free trial I decided to not pay to renew as the pace of rollouts was only a trickle. But then about 2 months later I tried again and paid my money (or my daughter paid my money for her student account) and it is still only a trickle. I have a setup with an old macbook hooked into my main system, but I started using the computer for work again, and never plug it back in even though it is as simple as inserting the connector into the USB. The content just isn't compelling enough.

One other complaint about Tidal. On Spotify, Amazon, and Apple music I could always find decent playlist mixes that I could set and forget for an hour or two. Playlists on Tidal are almost all curated by Tidal, and they are almost all single artist. What's the point? I always used playlists to discover new artists mixed in with more familiar ones. Never mind the fact that Tidal caters to a different audience than myself in the first place.

So, 186 albums? I think I've collected more than that on vinyl in the last few months, and didn't pay for a single one.

This is all reminding me to cancel before the next auto payment goes out.

Oh, and the sound quality of MQA is pretty good compared to the non-MQA. Try Eric Bibb's Migration Blues on Tidal Masters. Really nice sounding.

Edits: 05/06/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.