Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ethernet to optical isolation converter questions. Help please

Vangelis,
Are you actually hearing a problem from your ethernet system without said optical isolation?

IMO, there is no evidence that this makes any difference. And if there is, I wish someone would post some demonstration of this noise! Noise, especially if loud enough to disrupt digital communications and coming out of one's DAC should be quite measurable.

Measurements of my own ethernet system at the level of a DAC output through my home gigabit with numerous computers on the network only demonstrates a very small 60Hz hum (see link below). Notice the test was even done on a Pi 3 / HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro HAT board with no special further distance between the ethernet hardware and the DAC (instead of down a USB cable to a fancy DAC).

Also, until someone measures the noise output from an optical isolator device, I would not assume that they're any quieter. As you say, they could very well be the "new weakest link".

-------
Archimago's Musings: A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Edits: 04/26/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ethernet to optical isolation converter questions. Help please - Archimago 23:28:22 04/26/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.