Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: UpTone new ISO REGEN ($325) "borrows" concept from Intona ?

Well, a few things:

1) Before the Intona, or, for that matter, any of these USB re-clockers/hubs/what have you, galvanic isolation was commonly achieved via ADuM4160 chip-based dongles, which fell out of favor because they could not handle full speed USB 2.0 audio and therefore would not work with most DACs with an asynchronous protocol (meaning the vast majority post-2010 or so, as far as I know).

2) My understanding was that the Intona achieved isolation not from a single chip but from a combination of a FPGA and what Intona calls "RF type isolators," which basically means a few pieces of silicon, as far as I can tell, so technically chips, I suppose.

That being said, yes, I think the popularity of the Intona spurred Uptone to search for a way to incorporate galvanic isolation into their re-design/upgrade of the Regen. The same appears to be true for iFi with the upcoming "iGalvanic 3.0" (and, I'm sure, a host of other devices as of yet unannounced).

Edits: 04/25/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.