Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Ethernet to optical isolation converter questions. Help please

I've just returned from the Axpona show. At the show I spoke with the Roon guys. I told them I was considering a passive in line device to reduce noise on my Ethernet cable signal coming from my Synology NAS. They were firmly against the whole concept telling me"no, you need to optically isolate the electrical noise in your ethernet signal path ". I was told further to get several gigabit fiber optic media converters, one being the sender and the other being the receiver. Ok, so much of this makes sense and some of it does not. I've alway found optical toslink or even glass links sound poor. One old audio adage is that if you loose detail or data on the beginning side you can't reclaim on the other side. With this concept in mind won't an optical cable become the new weakest link? If I'm wrong, then why not use one long optical cable between converters and two short Ethernet cables?
With this arrangement I would be isolating the NAS noise and the first sending optical converter noise but am I not introducing a new switching power supplie's noise with second converter after the optical isolation? Should I seek out a certain optical cable? Is there a certain desired max length for optical match up to the converter?
The Roon guys said a $49 converter should be fine but see many variants and wonder what specs are adequate?

Any help on this topic would really be appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Ethernet to optical isolation converter questions. Help please - Vangelis 16:44:32 04/24/17 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.