Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Timely Discussion..........

So, last night we were having a small dinner party and I had a Rpi playing some background music (Russian Jazz Station at 192 kbps - Not a heavy lift. Nothing else going on my network.... I have very fast internet at 150 Mbps download from Comcast. Rpi was Wireless, with the router located directly in line of sight about 15-20 feet away.

After a couple hours of music playing at around 8pm the Rpi starts skipping every 10 seconds or so. No Music for a second, then resumes playing etc. etc. After 10 minutes of this, I went to my computer and added the Buffering parameter tweaks to my Rpi and rebooted it. This seemed to solve the problem.

So, thinking about this problem. Is this my ISP screwing with me and throttling back internet speed? Or maybe congestion on the Channel 1 band on my router? I am not alone with this problem, as I have heard many of my friends complain about the same thing. And it usually happens around 'prime time' on a Friday or Saturday night.

Now, QoS would not help this, as I have nothing else going on the network during this time of 'buffering'... Also I have seen this happen with streaming movies in my home also. So do you have any idea what is going on here?.... I'm blaming my ISP, but I'm only guessing.

Edits: 04/09/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.