Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Router - Quality of Service QoS

Been playing around with QoS with my dd-wrt router.

Although its just me ane my wife we have a lot of devices connected to our router. I've never had issues with streaming from the Internet[s] or from my NAS drive. But out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could detect any difference at all in speed of access or even sound when applying QoS settings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Background Info from Web Site

Quality of Service or QoS is the function in the DD-WRT router that lets you specifically select what incoming and outgoing traffic is of higher or lower priority than others. This is useful when you have multiple services running on a PC such as voice calls, high-quality video streaming, gaming, and downloading files. Rules can also be set so that different PCs on the Local Area Network (LAN) take higher priority in accessing the Internet than others.

QoS becomes useful when there are noticeable issues in voice calls and streaming videos, or if your web browsing is slow. Typically there are two causes for this, the first is a slow connection, and the second is that there are multiple services across multiple PCs that are competing for the same amount of bandwidth. In the default configuration, the DD-WRT router does not distinguish between the PCs on the LAN or the services running on the PCs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what results did I notice?

MUCH faster access to everything, Internet web sites and music...ONLY on the computer I specifically set to have the Lions share of the router. My wifes videos slowed to a crawl and every other computer suffered...:-(

So back to the drawing board. Next I'm going to spend more time fine tuning or reducing the % to devices that really don't need it and slowly increase the few devices that could benefit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Router - Quality of Service QoS - Dynobot 20:26:52 04/08/17 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.