Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I boot my Mac Mini headless sans dongle or optional software but....

my setup and system operational needs may be different than yours.

In System Preferences > Users & Groups:

- I have no password for login.

- In Login Items I have Roon (so Roon launches upon bootup)

I have my bluetooth keyboard and mouse turned-off. I have no monitor attached to the Mac Mini.

When I power-up or restart my Mac Mini, it boots w/o the need for inputting a user login and password and it launches Roon. I can then control my music library on the Mac Mini using the Roon App on my iPad or iPhone. I can choose my "audio device" within the Roon App to output to my direct-attached USB DAC for the office system, or output to the microRendu network streamer down in the basement listening room. All headless. All controlled via the iPad. That's it.

I also have Roon set up to automatically backup it's database periodically to my Dropbox account and to a local HDD partition. I also have Carbon Copy Cloner scheduled to periodically make backups of the entire system. All of this happens in the wee hours of the morning when I'm asleep and not listening to music.

I also have the Mac Mini set up to reboot on power failure so there's no manual intervention. When power comes back ON, the Mini comes back ON.

However, whenever I want to update software, add new music files, or do any administrative tasks, I simply plug-in my monitor cable and turn ON the bluetooth keyboard/mouse. I've used screen sharing in the past but don't really have a need for it in my setup.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.