Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

SMSL revisited

I have had this DAC for sometime, but I haven't been listening too much recently. I recently purchased some B&W 801 Matrix Series 2 speakers, accomplished Van Alstine mods, then I by-passed all the in series caps with .1mf Intertechnik Audyn True Copper Caps. Tried listening to the SMSL with an AD825 opamp, it was just far too bright, so I began swapping out opamps. I got to some OPA627's which I've had for years, the SMSL is now an awesome sounding DAC. I'm not sure that I am completely sold on DACs of the same type and with reasonably similar stats sounding all that different, I tend to believe that it's the follow on circuit that has more impact. The stock OPA2604 are okay, the AD825 has great detail but is bright, and the OPA627'S sound pretty good. Al with the same DAC. I'm not saying that I'm right, I was wrong about cables, capacitors, etc., so like the others I may be wrong here, but unless you're talking ladder vs asynchronous, at least in theory, it's all just 1's and 0's.

Best Regards,

Lou

Edits: 04/01/17 04/02/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - SMSL revisited - Lou S 05:41:35 04/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.