Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How would quality of Squeezbox 2 digital out compare to today's digital player offerings?

Yes and no. When you play a cd, the timing for the "stream" is based on the actual spinning disk. The motor, servos and error correction all affect the quality of the timing; i.e., this is where jitter comes from. The Redbook standard laid out what parameters were minimum requirements and there could be some variation among players. One reason people flocked to the Radioshack portable was that it seemed to improve on some element of timing and had lower jitter in an era when nobody was paying much attention. When Linn introduced the CD12 Sondek, it used novel read methods and apparently the timing of the "stream" wasn't tied to the spinning disk. People went bananas over the improved sound. Computers use cd-rom-style data readout and when you play from a computer hard drive the data ic cloked out in frames that are not explicitly tied to the timing of a rotating disk. There is ample room for improvements in jitter because of that alone. The SB2 wasn't a very good digital transport. It was inexpensive, didn't have much decoupling and probably had as much or mire jitter than a typical inexpensive cd player of the day. What you get nowadays is a lot more attention paid to the grounds, transformer decoupling and precision clocking. I'm sure Fred won't be able to resist jumping in with some pedantry here so perhaps you will get even more information.

Edits: 03/30/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How would quality of Squeezbox 2 digital out compare to today's digital player offerings? - PaulN 18:11:13 03/30/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.