Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Raspberry Pi Media Player Software Options

I have been doing some critical listening and I have come to the following conclusions..

Pi Core Player- Very cumbersome to setup and use. Never did get NAS to see my music. Web interface is very clunky. Phone apps are even worse. Once set up the sound as acceptable, but far from the best I have heard. Sounds almost like a generational loss(copy) compared to the MPDs. I feel like the Squeezebox architecture is more about utility than absolute sound quality.

Volumio-Stable up until recently. Many things are being broken in recent releases. Found it to have the best overall sound quality on my HiFi Berry+, but the worst overall sound quality on the Mamboberry LS+

Moode-Middle of the road on both cards. Somewhat better bass response than Volumio, but seems a little dull on the top end. A little "artificial" sounding.

Rune Audio- Once my least favorite player. 0.3 beta sounds great on the Mamboberry LS+, but is very outdated. 0.4 maintains the same sound quality and leaps over the other MPDs in terms of stability, features, and network connectivity including wireless.I installed it on my son's headphone rig and he was able to connect wirelessly, stream music wirelessly, and accurately control the volume. Things that were very hit or miss on Volumio and Moode. Everything just works like it should. This appears to be the only RP3 compatible MPD based on Arch Linux. The others are based on Raspbian. Not sure if that explains the differences in stability.

These are just my observations. I'm sure others will have different opinions and experiences. I would also be interested in hearing about other software options that I have not tried yet.

Edits: 03/29/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Raspberry Pi Media Player Software Options - jaydacus 21:02:22 03/29/17 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.